The drums on the electric model are the same as on the Classic Drumcarder. The 10" diameter and 7«" wide drum has a carding cloth that is 5/8" deep. This carder is designed for the production person in mind. The powerful 3/4 HP internal motor along with the convenient foot pedal leaves both hands free to feed the fibers into the carder. Having a consistent in feed speed will create more even batts with less effort. The drumcarder stands on buffers and doesnt have to be clamped to a table. This carder is good for the spinner or felt maker who cards a lot of fibers and needs many batts produced efficiently. The motor has a thermal safety and the drums are covered with a transparent plastic protection cover for extra safety while carding.
- 8" Carder Drum is 8" wide: (19 cm) wide and 10" (25 cm) in diameter
- 12" Carder Drum is 12" wide: 12" (30 cm) wide and 10" (25 cm) in diameter
- Teeth are spaced at 46 teeth/sq inch on Fine Carder, 72 tpi on Extra Fine
- Teeth are 5/8" deep (14 mm)
- Internal motor (110V [only available from Louet North America] or 220V and 370W)
- 90 rpm
- V belt driven
- Card approximately 1« ounce (45 grams) per batt
- Weight 46 pounds (21 kg)
- Carding teeth flexible
- No pre-teasing needed
- Doffer Brush and Doffer Pin included
An instruction manual written by well known author and fiber artist Deb Menz is included with all drumcarders.
The Louet Drumcarders are made of laminated birch and have a hard white coating. In order to ensure a long life, the teeth on all Lou?t carders are made of high grade plated steel wire. All gearboxes (except on the Elite) are enclosed to prevent fibers entering the gear system.
For drumcarders it is common to mention the gear ratio that drives the licker-in when you rotate the large drum. However, what really counts for carding is the ratio of the surface speed of both drums, because the difference of surface speed does the carding. You get this surface speed ratio by multiplying the gear ratio with the ratio of the diameters of the large drum and the licker-in.