Because all electric motors are NOT the same -- even when they have the same horsepower rating.
Skutt wheels by Thomas Stuart use industrial "continual duty" motors, designed to run at full speed without overheating for as long as the user requires. Other wheels may use "peak-rated motors" intended to provide full power without overheating only for short periods. The torque produced by a wheel is the amount of power you have to center clay.
High torque at low speeds is important for potters -- but providing high torque at low speeds generates more heat in the motor. Temperature is the greatest enemy of variable speed motors, leading to worn parts and eventual failure.
The larger motors on Thomas Stuart wheels have superior insulation and more windings, which allow greater dissipation of motor heat, plus integrated fans for additional cooling. This allows these motors to run cooler and last longer. Plus the additional torque at lower speeds gives these wheels great centering capacity -- higher than other wheels rated at the same horsepower.
- One of only three wheels available on the market with single-cast one-piece full-size splash pans.
- 1/3rd horsepower motor, 14" wheel head
- Centers over 100 pounds of clay
- The most popular model for schools
- Powder-coated heavy duty cast aluminum frame
- Two year manufacturers' warranty
- Shipping weight 117 lbs
- Call for quote on freight or delivery to your location.