From the Kromskis of Poland, the Sonata is a marriage between the classic architecture and design concepts shared with all other Kromski wheels and the functional needs of a wheel that folds.
The Sonata is a full-size spinning wheel that folds and packs away as a small package, making it perfect for traveling, guild and festival gatherings or simply storage when not in use.
The Kromskis have put a lot of thought into the Sonata. Full size yet small dimensions when folded, easy to set-up and take down, solid feel, solid footprint, plenty of foot room, easy treadling on double treadles, orifice at a comfortable height and classic looks.
Spokes that draw your attention, every piece of wood with cuts, curves and character; this is an appealing spinning wheel that is a pleasure to use.
A custom-made, heavily padded bag offering you a convenient way to pack-up your Sonata for travel or storage is now included with your purchase of a Kromski Sonata.
Optional flyers can add to the total range of the Sonata. The Jumbo flyer offers lower ratios and a larger orifice - .70" - and the Faster flyer increases the ratio range up to 18:1.
This wheel has made the Mondaes Top 10 Beginner and Best Sellers lists due to its versatility and beginner-friendly set up. If you want an "only wheel" that can do everything including travel with you to classes, but love the romantic look of dark woods and european craftsmanship, this is your wheel! Many people enjoy this week for it's ability to "pass" at reenactment events as well. The treadles are larger than the Minstrel, and have a "slower" default treadle speed and feel. The Mother-Of-All (contraption that holds your flyer/bobbin/uprights or maidens) is set behind the fly wheel away from the spinner, so we find the wheel appeals to spinners with taller stature who can see past the fly wheel.
- Wheel diameter - 19"
- Folded dimensions: 22" by 19"
- Orifice height - 30", but can be raised as much as 2"; size - 3/8"
- Bobbins: 3 included; will fit all other Kromski wheels; Kromski regular bobbins have yarn capacity that is 50% greater than many other popular wheel bobbins; a plus for any spinner
- Single drive with Scotch tension
- Also includes threading hook, attached Lazy Kate and bottle of spinning wheel oil; uses an elastic drive band
- Ratios: 6.7, 12.5, 14 to 1; see optional Jumbo and Faster flyers below for other ratio ranges.
- Ball bearings on wheel crank; flyer bearings are custom designed injection molded parts engineered by the Kromskis for excellent performance.
- Weight - 11.5 lbs.
- Available with a clear, mahogany or walnut factory finish
- Allow 1-2 Weeks for delivery.
- A Close-Up Look At the Sonata with Tim Horchler of Kromski N.A.
- Download your Sonata Assembly Guide pdf HERE