This is the wheel Clemes started with in 1970, a castle style with the flyer directly above the wheel. Easy to use for either a left or right handed spinner. Designed to be portable yet sturdy, the 16 inch diameter wheel has adequate weight to allow for effortless spinning of all types of fibers. Smooth running bronze bearings makes treadling a breeze. The treadle is of the heel-toe design and can be treadled with one or two feet as a "tandem treadle." With a little practice you will not need to touch the wheel to start spinning.
The flyer is a dual belt drive, or Double Drive, and has a 3/8” orifice. The flyer whorl has two speeds. Leather bearings support the flyer in the maiden and tension block. Tension adjustment is easily controlled by turning the tension knob. The wheel has a built in lazy kate and comes with three bobbins. Whorl ratios are 5.5 to 1 and 6.75 to 1. A threading hook is included.
The wheel is built entirely of hard rock maple in the tradition of quality spinning wheels with no screws used in any joint. All joints are either dowel or dowel and tenon assuring the longest life possible in a spinning wheel. This wheel is designed to be passed down for generations. It is finished with two coats of lacquer. Fruitwood and walnut stained finishes are available for an additional charge.
Accessories available for the Clemes Traditional include:
- Additional Standard Bobbins, $39.00 ea
- Additional Bulky Bobbins, $67.00
- Lazy Kate. $39.00
- Jumbo/Bulky Adaptor, $174.00
- Art Yarns Bulky Adaptor, $185.00
- Quill Adaptor, $115.00
- Distaff for flax spinning, $92.00
- Replacement Belts: $4.98
- Wheel Specs:
- Wheel Diameter: 16”
- Drive: Dual Belt
- Ratios: 5.5:1 and 6.75:1
- Orifice: 3/8"
- Orifice Height: 28 ¼”
- Treadle: Single, Heal-Toe
- Bobbin Size: 3 ¼” x 4 ½”
- Dimensions: 32” tall, 18” wide, 17” deep
- Weight: 15 1/2 lbs.
- We do our best to keep Clemes Products in stock. However, they are handmade to order. Please expect your Clemes products to deliver within 2-4 weeks of ordering in some cases.